Saturday, September 22, 2012

Lessons from a newborn

This is Ella
Ella Jan

There are many lessons to be learned from Ella. I will discuss two of these lessons today. The first one I did not learn directly from Ella, but from having her. People don't tell you the whole truth. This is sort of a joke, but also true. No one explained to me that once I gave birth, nothing would be normal again. I knew that a lot would change, but I guess I did not realize EVERYTHING would change! When I said this to one of my close friends, Nicole, through tears the other day, she patiently looked at me and said, "Molly, I could never explain to you what this was going to be like, you just have to live it." Wise, wise words. You can't explain motherhood until you have experienced it. As another wise friend, Beth, said, "It is the hardest job you will ever love." I adore my sweet Ella Jan. She is an amazing gift of God, and that brings me to my next lesson that this amazing bundle has taught me...something about our relationship with God.

Faith like a child....
If you grew up going to church, you probably have heard the idea of coming to God with faith like a child. I "knew" what this meant for years, but until having Ella, didn't really get it.

As I was rocking and feeding Ella one day I started thinking about how much she trusts me. Completely and 100% she trusts me. She believes I will meet her needs and take care of her. Ella had this faith as soon as she was born. She will continue to believe in me and trust me until I fail her. When she stops having faith in me or her faith waivers, it will be because I make a mistake.

God revealed something to me that day. When I don't have faith in Him, when I question if He will take care of me, I'm telling Him He has failed me. There has been some point in the past when He made a mistake and did something to make me not trust Him. God has never failed me and He never will.


Deuteronomy 31:6

New International Version (NIV)
Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.”

This is why God wants us to come to Him as little children, because those children come without baggage. They believe and trust with no question. They have complete faith.

Mark 10:13-15

New International Version (NIV)
13 People were bringing little children to Jesus for him to place his hands on them, but the disciples rebuked them. 14 When Jesus saw this, he was indignant. He said to them, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. 15 Truly I tell you, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it.”


I need to be Ella in my relationship to God. I need to cry out to Him when I need Him and have complete faith that He will answer me and provide for my every need. Jesus' blood never failed me yet.

1 comment:

  1. Its so true. But what a great perspective on "faith like a child". Thanks for the insight.

    ReplyDelete